Passive Buildings Canada is
- a federally incorporated non-profit organization
- grassroots, member-based volunteer organization
- democratic—members elect a board of directors to oversee operations
- modeled after other successful similar organizations such as IG Passivhaus Österreich (Austria Passive House Information Group) and CaGBC (Canada Green Building Council)
What we do
is to promote and support environmentally neutral building designs and construction by encouraging the design, construction, renovation, and verification of buildings to the Passive House standard in Canada. The Passive House methodologies can be applied to buildings of all types, including homes, hotels, office buildings, schools, institutional buildings, and more.
What we offer
- First point of contact for Passive House information
- Communications network for members, access to wealth of knowledge among membership base
- Members commit to help each other
- Host educational events
- Promote Passive House in private & public sectors
What does it mean to be a non-profit?
- Non-profit means “without share capital”
- No shares, so in the event of dissolution of the Corporation, all assets distributed to another non-profit organization in Canada with a similar purpose
- Incorporated, so members are protected
- Does not file income tax
- Does not charge GST/HST on memberships
Who is a member?
- Builders, trades, manufacturers, architects, engineers, building scientists, project managers, consultants, government representatives, non-governmental organizations, academic institutions
- Members share a common goal of making all buildings achieve the Passive House standard.